Oliver Pineda is Australia’s only 10 x World Salsa Champion.
Oliver is the Founder & Director of world renown Latin Motion Dance Academy, co founded in the year 2000 along side Natalie Zeller (formally Reis)
Oliver now hosts his very own subscription website www.oliverpineda.dance featuring over 500 videos online & heads The Oliver Pineda Academy, Australia’s most elite & exclusive training program housed within Latin Motion Dance Academy.
Oliver has won 5 of his World Salsa Championship titles with former celebrity dance partner (a partnership of 20+ years) 3 x winner of Dancing with the Stars; Luda Kroitor.
Oliver’s 10 x World Salsa Championship titles are -
1. 2001 IDO World Salsa Champion – Miami (with Luda Kroitor)
2. 2005 World Salsa Open Champion – Puerto Rico (with Luda Kroitor)
3. 2005 ESPN World Salsa Champion – Las Vegas (with Luda Kroitor)
4. 2006 ESPN World Salsa Champion – Las Vegas (with Luda Kroitor)
5. 2007 ESPN World Salsa Champion – Miami (with Luda Kroitor)
6. 2012 HK World Salsa Champion – Hong Kong (with Vali Damaskou)
7. 2014 HK World Salsa Champion – Hong Kong (Soloist)
8. 2015 World Salsa Summit Champion – Miami (Soloist)
9. 2017 World Latin Dance Cup Champion – Miami (Soloist)
10. 2019 Ultimate Latin Dance Champion - Las Vegas (Soloist)
Oliver’s TV appearances include -
1. Choreographer/Performer: Dancing with the Stars - Channel 7
2. Choreographer: So You Think You Can Dance - Channel 10
3. Interviewed: Morning Show with Kerrie Anne - Channel 7
4. Interviewed: Today Show with Sonia Kruger - Channel 9
Oliver’s other achievements include but are not limited too -
1. Leading the ‘Americas’ segment out onto the field in the Olympic Opening Ceremony, Sydney 2000.
2. Granted a scholarship to attend the Australian Collage of Physical Education (ACPE) to complete a Bachelor in Dance.
3. Handed the best Male Instructor Award at the West Coast Salsa Congress, Los Angeles 2006.
4. Handed the Outstanding Contribution to the Australian Latin Industry Award, Sydney Salsa Congress 2015.
Born in Australia and of Chilean descent, this young man started dancing Salsa at the mere age of 10. Having now danced for 30+ years, Oliver’s unique style of dance and clear precise teaching methods make him one of the most admired and sought after Salsa dancers and instructors in the world. Oliver has taught millions of people & performed at thousands of events in every continent around the World and continues to travel spreading his passion & knowledge for dance.
Featured & referenced in many articles as one of the top 10 male Salsa dancers in the world, Oliver is co responsible for introducing to Sydney; Rueda in 1999, Kizomba & Semba in 2007, was one of the instigators of linear style Salsa in 2000 & is now undoubtedly the pioneer of Mambo On2 in Australia.
Oliver owes his career success to his 10 years of technical dance & competitive training within the Latin Dance Sport & Ballroom arena. Equipping him with first hand experience & knowledge in all styles Latin & Modern, Oliver’s career highlights include being a Multiple Australian times Latin American Ballroom Champion as well as being placed in the top 98 out of 600 couples in the under 21 youth division at the prestigious Blackpool Championship in London.
Oliver also owes his career success to his musical knowledge & percussion background given to him by his father, one of the pioneers & well respected percussionists in the Sydney Latin music industry. Oliver, having worked as the permanent percussionist/musician (specialising in Timbales, Congas, Bongo & Campana) in the Alma Latina Band at the recently closed Vivaz Nightclub at age 16 & the Caliente La Banda band at the La Campana Nightclub at age 18, Oliver now occasionally plays with some of Sydney’s top Salsa bands & gets invited to play with some of the world’s best Salsa singers & Salsa bands in countries & events all over the World.
Oliver’s early performance experience within the Brazilian culture has also enabled him to handle Brazilian style instruments such as the Snare Drum, Zurdo, Pandero and the Hepinique & still performs within Brazilian & Latin American show troupes till today.
Oliver’s extensive dance experience also extends to Cuban/Afro Cuban, Cumbia, Cali Style Salsa, Zouk & Brazilian Samba as well as Latin & Modern Dance Sport styles in all its varieties such as Cha Cha, Paso Doble, Rumba, Jive, Waltz, Slow Foxtrot & Viennese Waltz to name a few.
As well as his musical & dance talents, Oliver was also a black belt martial artist in the combat art of Tae Kwon Do having taught kids from a young age & competed in many tournaments in Australia. This relationship between martial arts & dance was formed early on in his life, equipping him with an understanding of the basics of the Brazilian martial arts, Capoeira.
Oliver continues to spread his incredibly profound knowledge & unique, sought after teaching methodologies & style to dancers all around the World & is now in the process (alongside current dance partner Mercedes Olivera as Head of Operations) of expanding Latin Motion & the OP Academy, locally, interstate & internationally via franchises.